The Road Less Travelled

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Classic quotes 3

Was relaying this story to IN the other day. This was my pre asianisation days during secondary school.

Am getting into my friends mothers car.

Me: Hello Mrs Sharma
Friend: [Nudges me with her elbow and whispers urgently] Auntie!
Me: [Confused] Oh sorry. Is that your auntie? I thought she was your mother.

For the rest of my years at school I never did figure out why she referred to her auntie as ‘mother’ or how comes she and her younger brother were the spitting image of their auntie. At the time I assumed she had perhaps been adopted by her auntie because her mother had died from a tragic accident, involving several cars and an aeroplane, (I had an over active imagination due to reading so much fictional rubbish) too upsetting to speak of. I was too scared about asking since it seemed such an emotional topic. Didn’t want to put my foot in it.
Only years later did I recall this incident and did it finally sink in…





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home